Re: finished with slackware

It doesn't matter what distro you use, it's in the linux kernel. You have to patch the kernel code to make speakup work with many hardware synths including the litetalk.

I wrote instructions for building a patched debian kernel. I know these instructions don't directly apply to you but maybe you can use them to patch the code for your kernel. The key is to comment out one line in a source code module in the speakup code:

http://www.iavit.org/~john/debian/build.html