Signing Messages in Mutt

I have been noticing lately, that I can no longer sign messages in
mutt with gpg. I keep getting an error that gpg can't sign the
message. I forget the exact text but in any case, I can't seem to get
any more informative information than that single line.

When I test signing or encryption from the native shell using gpg
commands, all works fine so my keys and credentials are still good.

Any ideas out there?