Re: how to make settings 'stick'

Hum, I wonder what the issue could be then. I'm also using a fully
updated arch box right now. What happens when I first boot the system
and login to a normal user account, I run speakupconf and no speakup
parameters change. When I login as root, speakupconf works fine. When
I try and update any speakup parms manually from normal user, that's
when I get a "permission denied" error. I don't need to change any
options on speakupconf, do I?

Oh, and when I mean update speakup parms, I mean echoing an
appropriate value into the /sys/accessibility/speakup/* logical files.