linux kernel question

is anyone running a hardware speakup synthesizer on any of the modern
kernel releases?  I'm thinking one possibility may be hardware kernels
have been disabled in these modern kernels as shipped from the developers.
I hope not, but if that is the case and distributors like Slackware do not
enable those hardware drivers that would explain why on the amd side 13.37
14.1 and slackware-current all fail to bring up the litetalk speakup
module in a way that gets my litetalk synthesizer speaking for an install.
It's possible this is not the case and if it's not the case, this system
is experiencing some kind of error that will show up on the screen when
one is plugged and a boot test is done with these failing slackware
distros.  After I've logged in on slackware I've done echo "Hello, World!"
>/dev/ttyS0 and hear the text spoken.  However when I type modprobe
speakup_ltlk and hit enter, all the rest is silence.  One way it might
work is if /dev/ttyS0 is first initialized as a serial port and then the
speakup parameters are passed in on the boot prompt.  Why this should have
to be done now when it wasn't necessary in the past is a puzzle to me if
it does work.

jude <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Twitter: @jdashiel