Re: I think SPAM Re: OT: Defending the Blind

When we created the International Association of Visually Impaired Technologists, this kind of thing became a huge issue. Lots of us happen to live in countries where our rights are better protected than they are in other parts of the world. Are general discrimination issues relevant to being a technologist? I maintained that we needed to stick to things directly related to doing the job of working with computers. But a lot of people disagreed. I'm afraid we lost some people immediately because of it.

But I still think what we really need is an international version of the NFB. Whatever you may think of the NFB, it does have it's good side especially when it comes to advocacy. I've had enough trouble even getting people interested in helping with IAVIT and what we have is totally inadequate for dealing with issues like this. I wish I had the guts to quit my job and get to work on it. I was just reading up on James Love, the founder of Knowledge Ecology, and it says that he used to be a commercial fisherman. Knowledge Ecology is the group that has been working on getting a treaty through the UN that would essentially allow bookshare.org to go international.

Anyway, I'd be reluctant to just dismiss stuff like this as spam. I've contacted Tom. I'll see if we can get more specifics. We'll try to flesh out the details a little. After that, each of us will have to decide on our own whether the cause is worthy of our attention.