From: "Jude DaShiell" <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 4:27 AM
Subject: finished with slackware

14.1 was the killer.  Nothing I did documented or otherwise got any speech
out of that version of slackware so the disks have been trashed.  I'll not
buy any future version of the distribution either since by the time the
disks arrive invariably one or more of them get broken by the shipping
process.  Slackware is too thrifty to have bubble wrap insulating their
jewel cases in those cardboard boxes they use for shipping and I have
complained about this repeatedly to slackware too.  So far as I'm
concerned, the distribution is inaccessible for installation or use.  I
suspect further something happens in the boot process that makes litetalk
synthesizers unable to speak even when no attempt is made to access the
synthesizer on boot up.  Because after doing a boot up by just hitting the
enter key a couple times echo statements directed to ttyS0 and ttyS1
produced silence and the litetalk said it was ready before booting the
machine.  Also in sighted boot up state, modprobe speakup-synth=ltlk and
modprobe speakup-synth=ltlk speakup-ser=0 and modprobe speakup-synth=ltlk
speakup-ser=1 statements all failed to contact the synthesizer as did
replacing the dash characters first with underscores and then replacing
the underscore characters by periods in those commands.

What makes this worse is that earlier I offered to donate a doubletalk
litetalk synthesizer to slackware and pay for the shipping so slackware
could do some real accessibility testing with at least one synthesizer.  I
did not mention what I paid for that synthesizer either.  Slackware
aggressively refused my offer.  How slackware does its accessibility
testing is that they put a monitor on a serial port that shows serial
traffic.  Then they boot up using the booting parameters for speakup they
put in their documentation and watch to see if any traffic goes out that
serial port.  If traffic goes out, their accessibility test has passed.
With the current situation, slackware is unable to prove signals adverse
to accessibility do not go out over the serial ports to synthesizers since
they have no synthesizer on which to actually hear what does or does not
happen and are not interested in correcting that deficiency.

jude <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Twitter: @jdashiel