Any News on cut-and-paste bug?

Is there a layman's explanation you can give or point to about why
Speakup's working "around the kernel" is a bad approach?  I ask because
I've understood one virtue of it to be that it's what allows a blind
person using a hardware speech output device to get information almost
as early as a sighted person can on boot-up.

I admit knowing very little about the kernel.  I've just begun stucying
C in the hope that some day I might be able to help with problems like
this.  (This was prompted by recent discussions about accessibility--or
comparative lack of it--on Red Hat and Fedora.)

Incidentally, if somebody knowledgeable on the matter thinks I'd be
superfluous or wasting my time, feel free to say so and explain why.

Thanks!

Al