OT - Enabling relaying after authentication in Sendmail?

Hi,

I have never quite figured out how to enable authentication in Sendmail,
where an authenticated client can relay mail through it. Does this
require SSL or something similar? I've never quite gotten the hang of
SSL certificates, etc. either. Any help would be grately appreciated.
Thanks.
Jayson