speakup goes oops/bye-bye on wheezy

Well, we have progress of a sort.  I loaded the module
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,0
and got some audio, but it was horrible, sort of like a lot of jitter,
very not usable.  I onlyhave one sound card, which is an old sb-live
emu10k1 card, so I am not positive about the device parameter here, but
any way to fix the sound?