looking for a "good" accessible linux distro

My suggestion is the Debian Squeeze live CD.  It comes with Speakup as
modules, but doesn't load Speakup automatically.  Squeeze still has the
older kernel, so hardware speech works.  I used it to rescue a system here.
  There is also the Wheezy live CD, but it only supports software speech due
to the newer kernel.  The rescue and standard CDs both seem to have a lot of
security and console tools and there are versions offering X and Gnome.  Of
all the CDs I've looked at in recent times, I'm the most impressed with this
one.  I used Samuel Thibault's remaster script, but it still didn't load
Speakup automatically.  You have to do the following when it boots:

sudo modprobe speakup_ltlk

Also, the Squeeze live CD apparently doesn't come with Espeak and Espeakup,
so that might be an issue if you can't use hardware speech.  I think Wheezy
does on the live CD, but I'm not 100% positive and it doesn't load Speakup
automatically either.

Some others are Vinux which is based on Ubuntu and crashed a lot in my
tests, GRML which I don't use anymore and can't comment on and Knoppix.
Knoppix does have software speech, X and console tools.  The Knoppix DVD
supports a 64-bit kernel while the regular CD apparently doesn't.  I would
list Knoppix as my second choice for a live CD.  I haven't determined if
Knoppix comes with Speakup, but it does have its own screen reader.