unix/linux training

Ok, guys and gals, since we are talking about training,
Here is a question for you old timers.

About 34 years ago when I was at Bell Labs, they had a unix program
called ``learn'' that was self-paced, and so elementary that it
was used with Boy Scouts.  Its promo said "Bring a friend.
You'll need them for about fifteen minutes while you learn to log
in, etc."  I have been trying to see if it can still be found.

It taught about the Mashey shell, which pre-dated the Bourne
shell, but it also had a good course on ed, and some other programs.
It needed a lot of work, because it would sometimes leave you in
jail, and unable to go ahead without cheating.  I think it might
be able to be updated into something useful for beginners.

Does anyone know where to find it, or even what language it was
written in?

D. Curtis Willoughby

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 07:17:15 +0000 (UTC)
Jason White <jason at jasonjgw.net> wrote:
Subject: Re: CAVI Linux Course was Re: LaTeX and big writing projects

Kerry Hoath  <speakup at braille.uwo.ca> wrote:
>This is all good information, I'll link to some of these things on our
>linux wiki at
>http://linuxwiki.ciscovision.org

You're welcome.

>we are running an intro to Linux command-line admin course at the
>academy at the moment and all the resources are free for the taking
>although the certificate costs.

Have you considered recommending that students read the following book?
http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
(PDF download, but accessible if converted to text, so anyone with access
needs should be fine).

I have reviewed some of the chapters and I think the book is the best that
I've found online or offline as an introduction to Linux.

After reading that, my recommendation would be Unix Power Tools, 3rd ed.,
published by O'Reilly. This is the book to read if you want to discover what
make Linux and UNIX such great systems.