Lowering default espeakup speed?

Hi, Samuel:

It's good that you're considering the particular needs of beginning
users. I think you're very correct that those of us who want fast speech
will know how to readily adjust speech speed to our preferred rate.

However, I have a caution I would like to express on this topic. In my
experience much of beginning user problems with synthetic speech is
simply the fact that it is synthetic and not human speech. Intonation is
different, pronunciation is different, etc. etc. But beginners will not
express their confusion in these terms. The common understanding is that
slowing speech down will increase comprehension. But this is only true
up to a point. Comprehension cal also be impeded by going too slowly,
much like trying to ride a bicycle too slowly results in a rider falling
over.

The best cure, imo, is not listening, but creating content. The
beginning user who is typing will learn to understand the TTS engine far
faster than someone who just listens. This is because one knows what one
is typing and thus can more quickly associate the TTS engine's way of
saying things against their expectations of how certain content should
be spoken.

My bottom line is please don't set the default too slow. I would tend
toward slightly slower than average speaking rate.

Janina