Serial conflict

Yeah, mine too.  I never delved into kernel programming either.  Maybe
it isn't all that hard but I don't know where to start in that world.
The thing that bugs me here with the serial port problems is that this
stuff seems to work on some people's machines and not on others.
Where I run into serial issues is on a machine that apparently has 64
bit capability but at the time I built my Arch installation, I hadn't
realized it so it is basically built as a 32 bit system (x86). Hey, I
might try the speakup-enabled Arch live CD; wonderif I can override
the speakup.synth parameter on that; never tried so far.

Chris, can one do that with your live CD? if so, what name is used for
the image or first word of the command line?  I guess I could inspect
the grub lines you have on that disk to figure that out.