Expanding Spaces in Commands?

Hi All:  Right this second I cannot remember exactly what we were trying to
configure, but my friend wanted me typing commands with ampersnds, so ofcourse
I realized I needed quote signs.  Well, even with that, seemingly either tcsh
or Speakup inserted spaces where I didn't type or want them.  We then used
screen-and-he did the typing, obviously without Speakup, and it completed fine.
Is this space expansion something I can turn off in FC9?  Even if I arrow
up-and-delete those spaces, they come back again, once I hit enter.
In screen, since it was his session, we were in bash, but I sure prefer running
in tcsh, as all my aliases work, unelss maybe, are their ways to make global
aliases, not specific shell dependant?  Thanks so much in advance
Hart