Speakup Software Synthesizer

All,
I have looked on Google for information, but found little.
Why is using software speech with speakup so much more difficult than
using say, a dectalk, or another hardware synthesizer?
I know that I've read about a popular linux distribution which does not
support software speech.
Is there anything any of us could do personally to help get softsynth
working on these OS's?

Sincerely,
Brandon McGinty