key echo in speakup

Hi,

Is there any way of turning off key echo in speakup.

I have found the file /sys/accessibility/speakup/key_echo and I have
found that changing the 1 to  0 turns off the echo but is there any way
of making this the default?

I prefer typing without feedback but would quite like speech when using
the backspace or delete.

I usually turn down the volume on the synth but thought it would be good
to find the correct way of achieving this.

Many thanks

Keith