Progress reports

Greetings,

Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
> Much simpler. Press the combination speakup+keypad-enter to
> silence spontaneous speech from speakup. The review mode still
> works. Press the combination again to restore full operation.

True.  But, being a newbie, naively reasoning that since this is
a computer it might as well do it automatically, I've written
a little Perl script:   http://www.pjb.com.au/blin/free/quiet
Documentation: http://www.pjb.com.au/blin/quiet.html

  quiet is a wrapper which, if the environment variable QUIET_PLEASE is
  set, silences speakup. Then it runs the system-installed program of
  the same name with the same arguments, then it switches speakup back on.

To install:
 1. Copy it into somewhere in your $PATH which is ahead of the system
    directories which contain the programs you wish were quieter
 2. Make it executable
 3. Link it to names identical to all the noisy programs you wish to wrap.
 4. When you're running speakup, set the environment variable QUIET_PLEASE

It works for me, so may it be useful...

Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au       pj at pjb.com.au      (03) 6278 9410
"Was der Meister nicht kann,   verm?cht es der Knabe, h?tt er
 ihm immer gehorcht?"   Siegfried to Mime, from Act 1 Scene 2