hello from a new member

Hello,
Not using either of those distros I don't know if they have a way you
can create a kernel with speakup and make it a package you install. If
they do then you might want to go that route as hopefully you would use
basically the same config and so might be able to use the modules from
the distro.

An alternative is to look at those distros which include speakup or
speakup packages (this is why I stick with slackware, although it
doesn't allow installing by software synth). GRML (www.grml.org) is
debian based and has a software synth on the CD. You may want to look at
it. GRML can be run as a live CD (good for system maintainance or just
learning about speakup), or you can install GRML to hard disk, or there
is a script to create a debian installation.

If you resort to just generic instructions for compiling a kernel with
speakup, there are many docs online about compiling kernels. One I use
(mainly because I use slackware) is the slackware details for creating a
speakup enabled kernel (although fairly generic)
ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware/source/k/README_SPEAKUP_PATCH.TXT
<ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware/source/k/README_SPEAKUP_PATCH.TXT>
. If you aren't using an existing config which specifies using speakup
then remember when configuring the kernel (make menuconfig) to enable
speakup and the software synth option. Also some distos (I think ubuntu
is one of them) use grub instead of lilo, make sure that you update grub
so it knows about the new kernel if grub is used instead of updating lilo.

It really is easier to start with a pre-compiled kernel (particularly if
you aren't used to kernel configuration).

Michael Whapples