maybe OT: stty problem

Greetings!

Using speakup-modified Fedora 9, when I type  stty rows 50

to get more lines on the screen, I get the message

stty: standard input: No such device or address

This did not happen with Fedora 7 or 8.  (I hadn't used the command before that.) I tested the command using the LFS live CD, and it worked properly.

In case it helps to know, I got the same error message using GRML 9, 10, and 11.

So far, I've found no useful information via google.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Al Sten-Clanton