speakup, grml and braille blazer

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 05:03:41PM -0700, Cody Hurst wrote:
>   I just realized I could whip up an external synth with a db25 serial
> cable, a converter and a db9 serial cable,

What do you mean by "converter"? If you're talking about a usb to
serial converter, then you're out of luck, since speakup doesn't
support those as of now. If you mean some kind of other converter,
then you'd better explain. Also, do you have a null-modem adapter in
that cable chain? If you don't, and if your cables are standard
straight-through cables, then you need a null-modem adapter.

> however when I boot grml I use
> this boot command
>
> grml speakup_synth=bns, ttyS0

I don't know the state of speakup in grml, if it's pre-git speakup,
then you're fine, but see below. If grml has speakup from git, you
need to specify the synth as speakup.synth=bns, assuming grml has the
bns synth built into the kernel.

I don't know where you got the ttyS0 from; this isn't how you specify
serial ports in speakup. If the blazer is on your first serial port,
you don't need to tell speakup which port to look on. If the speakup
in grml is pre-git, then speakup will find the bns on any of the other
standard serial ports, if it isn't hooked up to the first serial
port. If the speakup in grml is from git, I seem to recall Kirk saying
that speakup from git doesn't auto-probe beyond the first serial port
anymore. If that's correct, then read up in the speakup docs how to
specify the serial port. Off the top of my head, the second serial
port would be specified with speakup from git as speakup.ser=1, but
don't quote me on that.

 and get no speech. On the blazer's speech
> config menu I set it from parallel to serial. however I tried starting
> grml with it on serial and parallel and still no speech. I know this can
> be done but I just don't know how. I'd like to know what I"m doing wrong
> here.

Ok, in the blazer's speech menu, set the port to serial. In the
printer config menu, make sure the port is set to either off, or
parallel. In the serial config menu, set baud rate to 9600, bits per
character to 8, stop bits to 1, parity to none, and handshake to
either software , or hardware. I've found that pre-git speakup at
least acted quirky with the bns regardless of what handshaking is set
to, though Kirk has said in the past that handshaking with the bns
driver should be set to hardware. I haven't tested to see how speakup
from git does with the bns. Finally, make sure the blazer is
online. Hth.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org