Gentoo - where's speakup been put?

Hi Gena,

> Sorry, I'm confused here.  I emerged gentoo-sources which gave me the
> kernel source then I created my /etc/portage directory and the required
> package.keywords file.  Then emerged speakup.  So you are saying that
> the sources are ready for further configuration according to hardware
> and compilation and I can proceed with the install?

 That is correct, see my comment below about speakup.

> I'll set up the chroot env again and run menuconfig and I'll
> immmediately be able to see if speakup is there.

No, not in menuconfig.  On gentoo, speakup is installed the same way
alsa was before it became part of kernel.org.  It is a set of modules,
outside the kernel.

I need to make one correction on the steps I gave you.  Once you are in
the croot, emerge, configure, compile and install your kernel.  Make
sure that /usr/src/linux points to the correct kernel tree.  Once that
is set up, then emerge speakup.

Again, in order for all of this to work, you must use at least
gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r1.

Once you have that set up, you should specify in
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 which synthesizer you want to load,
for example:

speakup_ltlk start=1

But, I am about to do another snapshot for gentoo, and when that
happens, you will no longer need the start parameter.

Let me know if you still have questions.

William