Not speaking number before letter "bug"?

luke wrote:
> Earlier today I wrote:
>
> "If it's on the right, replace the 1s with 2s."
>
> There is a digit one before the first "s" and a two before the second.
> However, my current speakup reads this line as:
>
> "If it's on the right, replace the s with s."
>
> If I place the speakup cursor on the "1s" and hit "read word", I get "s".
> If I hit read word twice (I.E. spell word), it will then say "1 s".

Hi,

This is a DEC-Talk Express bug. Good luck fixing it, I've been trying
for years. The only thing that sometimes helps is to send the following
to the synth, exactly as shown:

[:mode math on ]

That fixes the number problem but pronounces punctuation as math
symbols, but at least your numbers should work. Even then it's not
foolproof but it helps. Sometimes it fixes itself without doing
anything. Yes, it goes back at least to Speakup 0.X, in 2000 or so. I'm
reasonably sure that there isn't much that Kirk can do about it since it
isn't a Speakup problem. To send the above to the synth, either put it
in a file and copy it to ttyS0 or cat
 >/module/sys/speakup/parameters/synth and enter it. Another fix might
be to redefine how it pronounces numbers, maybe by changing the
characters file or something.