no sound on fedora 9

Hi all,

I just installed a copy of the speakup-modified fedora 9 dvd onto my gateway desktop system.

Per the instructions on the speakupmodified website, I removed the pulseaudio stuff, but I have no sound at all on the system now.
The kernel is 2.6.25.3-15.spk.fc9.i686.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
When I run aplay or play with a .wav file I keep getting output file not found.