hal on debian testing fails configuration

Hi, I am running debian testing and was having problems with configuration
of the hardware abstraction layer.  It tries to configure itself but fails.
I am using a dectalk express external synthisizer connected to the first and
only serial port in my system.  Has anyone else had this problem and is
there a fix for it?