system with speakup software already installed?

Hello,
I don't know if you sorted it out, but you seem to be having
difficulties of one sort or another which are preventing you getting
speakup. I have found GRML to be very good and by default (on the full
GRML distro) speakup is there, look at the swspeak boot argument.
Another thing is that GRML can use standard debian packages, unlike
ubuntu where mixing ubuntu and debian may cause problems.

Michael Whapples