debian question

Of late I've been noticing lots of dpkg cannot get lock to directory
looping errors.  One way to produce this is with aptitude install emacs
planner-el.  Probably many other emacs add-ons also produce this error as
well.  I first noticed this happen when I tried aptitude install emacs
bsdgames.  Emacs got on fine but bsdgames did not.  If I tried aptitude
install bsdgames emacs though, bsdgames gets on fine but blocks emacs.