Dectalk USB in serial mode

Hiya,
I've found a USB-to-serial cable lying around my house somewhere, which fits the Dectalk serial port.  I'm curious to know what settings might need to be compiled into the kernel to possibly get this device to work?  I could connect the Dectalk, switch it to rs232 mode, put in a battery, and the like.  I'm just not sure what kernel parameters to tweak.
Any advice would be appreciated.
On a side note, what device would be specified as the synthesizer port?  Can I check this somehow?
Thanks,
Zack.