ttsynth help: download problem

Regarding libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Mike wrote:
> So how do I find gcc-2.95 and build it without damaging my machine?

It's more complicated that needing a compiler. That library contains
runtimes created with an old glibc that stopped being used on most
linux systems a few years ago.

> You mentioned a discussion on this list regarding doing that.

This is old, but I made it work three years ago on slackware 9.1 by
building an old glibc from source

http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~priestdo/emacspeak/list.archive.2004/msg00128.html

That might be difficult if you've never built any toolchains. Since
time has passed and we're using newer gcc, you might have to
install an old gcc to compile the glibc without the build choking.
And it can get worse, there is certain combinations of the gcc,
glibc, and binutils that will build together, other combinations
break, and they are moving targets. If I still had the old ibm tts
files I'd have another go at trying to make it work the hard way,
but I have lost my viavoice files somewhere along the way.

> Would it be possible for someone just to email the library to me?  I'm
> using the 2.6.13 kernel under Slackware 10.1.

You may find that even if you can locate a binary library and put
it on your system, it may be incompatible and when you execute
programs that need it you may get unresolved symbol errors or
the dreaded segmentation error. That error is almost as useful
as the three possible errors shown on my first computer, which
were: what? how? and sorry. LOL I am not kidding. That was
the only thing the computer could tell you if it didn't understand
what you typed.

This, however, looks interesting
http://www.digitalsanctum.com/2007/01/28/libstdc-libc62-2so3-on-ubuntu/

It states that on ubuntu, installing libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 gives you
compatibility with libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Slackware may be a different story, but what I did before is surely
doable again, if you're willing to build toolchains.

  -- Doug