General questions from someone who's never used Speakup...

I do have linux experience, though not running it off my own machine,
since until recently I'd been unaware of anything remotely decent so
far as text-to-speech capabilities for it. What I'd like to know,
however, is what kind of feedback/configurability is offered with the
current version of Speakup? I should probably point out that, coming
from Windows, I'm probably going to end up comparing this with
whatever expectations I have after using JAWS and/or Window Eyes.
I've been tossing around the idea of finding a spare machine just to
fiddle around with linux and check out Speakup, at the very least,
but I like to know what I'm getting into before I go and jump in with
both feet. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on something like
a demo of the program in action, or can maybe tell me what their
experience with Speakup has been like, that'd be awesome. Email me on
or off list, whichever.

James