Minicom and Dectalk Express

Just because it says "offline," doesn't mean that you can't communicate.
I think it's expecting "CONNECT" messages from a modem.  I know that if I
start Minicom, I can send commands to the modem regardless of its state on
the status line.  Just be sure you are set to 9600 BPS, and clear out any
init strings.