From: "Janina Sajka" <janina@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 6:38 AM
Subject: Re: found temporary fix for 2.6.10 and 2.6.11 software speechproblem

> Thanks, David. How can I say it? Very, ahem, nice? <grin>
>
> I shall probably need to muck around with the settings. Your minus five
> and vie numbers do seem to have improved things, but there's still way
> to much lag for me when typing chars.
>
> Question: Do you notice more lag on capital letters than on lower case?
> I get significantly more lag on caps, perhaps more than twice as long.
>
> David Bruzos writes:
> > Hi Janina:
> > Use the "nice" and "renice" commands to change priorities.  The "nice"
command is used to set the priority before you start
> > the program and the "renice" command is used to set priority of an already
running program.  So you can start
> > "speech-dispatcher" and "speechd_up" with something like:
> >
> > # nice -n -5 speech-dispatcher
> > # nice -n 5 speechd_up
> >
> > Or, you can change the priority of speech-dispatcher and speechd_up after
they are running by doing:

> > # renice -5 speech-dispatcher-process-id
> > # renice 5 speechd_up-process-id
> >
> > When you use renice, you must specify the process ID of the program you want
to modify.  The highest priority possible is
> > -20 and the lowest priority is 19.  You can only increase the priority of a
program as root.  The default priority when
> > you log-in is 0.
> > As long as you set the priority of speechd_up lower than what your login is
using, it seems to work well.  You don't want
> > to make the priority too low, because then the speechd_up program will not
be able to get any CPU time.  So, 5 for
> > speechd_up seems to work well.  I increase the priority of speech-dispatcher
to -5 to make my speech slitely more
> > responsive.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > DB
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 10:31:05AM -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > > Where do you set these priorities?

software speech and speakup.  The speech was extremely
problem was a kernel configuration option
2.6.10 and 2.6.11.  I recompiled the kernel on my
recompile on my laptop, so I started playing with
"speech-dispatcher".  I am running "speechd_up" with
wonderfully.  I think my speech is more responsive than it