stratigiesDealing with windows co-dependency on a linux system

What I'm looking for are how to partician and whom should do the particianing of
my drive.  This will be done on a laptop with one harddrive.  How do I tell my
system grub/lilo is the active boot loader and should start before windows boot
loader?  Are there certain types of opperations in linux which will mess with my
windows aria?  If I need to re-partician could I re-partician the windows aria
in linux?how should I go about erasing a partician if necessary so the other one
is un-affected.  I will be installing Debian on this new system, so If you can
give any pointers specific to Debian installer that would be helpful.
Sean