Fedora Logon Screen

Hi folks,  This might seem like a dumb question, but, how is Fedora's graphical logon screen structured?  I can't figure out when to type a user id and password.  I have tried typing a user id, tab, then a password, but I simply hear a beep in response after I press enter.  I'm assuming that this means I haven't logged into the gnome environment yet.  I'm also assuming that gnome actually plays a wave file after log in?

I can switch to a text prompt with control alt f1, but I would like to start using gnopernicus.

I've been googling some past list msg's but have had no luck so any help would be appreciated!

David