question on Exim

I asked this once before, but I am not sure the message made it out.
I'll ask again, but for some reason I thought previously I saw copies of
messages I sent out and perhaps its my mind playing tricks on me.

Ina ny case, I am using Exim 3.36 and I want to know how I could
configure it to perform authenticated smtp connections.  I had
considered going with Verizon's DSL service which requires this, but I
was unable to get authenticated smtp connections working with Exim. I
look over the documentation and the example in the config file, but no
luck. If someone could explain how this should be done or has a resource
I could checkout, I'd appreciate it. What I need to do is send my
username and password. I currently am with a cable company and may not
switch to Verizon,b ut this info might prove useful if our cable company
chooses to go this route at some point.
Any help appreciated.