alsaconf error

A script file I saved of the session says alsaconf can't find or load snd.
Might the snd stuff needed be in another package?  If not, I'm going to
remove the whole alsa system and try to find a version I can build on this
system.  I tried with the latest version and that failed because a sanity
check failed for cpp in one of the packages, so I may have to start trying
them out moving down the versions scale.