Accessing my CD-Drive

I've brailled and read Janina's advice to me about how to copy my "tar" and "gz" html document files.  However, I'm still missing something with respect to
accessing my cd-rom drive.  I've tried such things as:
"/dev/fdc"
and
"cd /dev/fdc"
to no avail.  Do I have to "mount" the drive first, to be able to access it, and see thefile names?  Maybe,
"mount /dev/fdc"?

Nick