mp3 files terminate too soon with realplayer

Hello list:

I'm using trplayer with realplayer 8 with Slackware 10.1 and the 2.6.10
kernel.

My problem: many mp3 files stop too soon, sometimes as much as 30 seconds
before the end of the actual file (as played in mplayer).  I don't think
this has to do with the kernel as the same problem shows itself using the
2.4.29 kernel.

Does anyone know how this might be fixed?

Many thanks

PS.  How does one reach the speakup ftp site now?