sarge: getting als to work

Hello,
I've recently installed debian sarge and want to get sound working.  Which
debian packages to I need to install?  I am running the 2.4.27
speakup-enabled kernel which came with the talking debian install cd.

I could go back to my old ways and follow the alsa-howto in the goodies the
goodies directory.  But I'm trying to learn the "debian" approach to doing
things.

tia
Chris