A question

OK. Here's what you need to do:

1.)	Download a Speakup Modified kernel for FC2 appropriate to your
computer architecture (e.g. i686 if you have a Pentium IV, or kernel-smp
for i686 if you have a dual processor Pentium IV system, etc).

2.)	Install as follows:

rpm -iv [kernel.rpm.package.name]

Remember that you can use the TAB key to avoid having to type that long
file name completely yourself.

IMPORTANT: You must use -i to get the behavior you're looking for. The
'-i' stands for '--install' and will install the Speakup MOdified kernel
as a new, additional kernel on your system. It will NOT overwrite your
existing kernel. Both will now be available for you at the grub boot
prompt (see more on this below).

3.)	Create a new initrd.img file for this new kernel that
incorporates the Speakup driver for your hardware speech synthesizer (if
you have a hardware speech synth). Follow the instructions (beginning at
Step #4) in the installation HOWTO at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

4.)	Your newly installed kernel will e booted by default. If you
wish instead to boot from your old kernel, you must indicate this at the
grub boot loader prompt. You merely need to press the down-arrow once to
move the grub kernel selection from the default, newly installed kernel,
to the second older one.

But, how do you know when to do this? Grub will not waqit forever. It
will time out if you do nothing. And, grub is itself not accessible.

In order to know when the grub boot prompt presents itself for your
command, follow the advice in our INstallation HOWTO under the section
entitled "Grappling ith Grub." Put a Ctrl-G in for each of your two
kernel definitions. This should cause your computer to beep twice (once
for each kernel title) when it reaches the grub boot loader prompt stage
of the boot process.

SPECIAL NOTE: You can, of course, extend the amount of time grub will
wait for your command. Simply change the time out value in your
/boot/grub.conf file. Similarly, you can also change which kernel will
boot by default.