Root file system mounted read only

Hi Doug:  I don't really know anything about the gentoo booting
sequence but it sounds like the root partition is not being remounted
after initial booting.  On debian systems the first or at least very
early script which gets run is bootmisc.sh in /etc/init.d and
checkroot.  On my system it used to be a script called just boot but
it looks as if that has been split up and the current script
responsible for the remount is checkroot.

That's about all I can suggest.  Good luck.

phone: (519) 661-3061