kernel 2.6.11 compile problems

Hi  Chuck, et al,

	I have 2.6.11.6 compiled on my laptop, running with no problems.

	When I upgraded from 2.4.x, some time ago, I used the 'make oldconfig' with my .config file from 2.4.x to the first 2.6.x kernel i did (can't remember which one it was). There were a lot of new features to add from 2.4.xx but it retained all the old settings from 2.4.x into the new 2.6.x without any problems.

	Despite the installation instructions to not put the kernel in the source tree, I have always put a symlink in '/usr/src/linux' pointing to the root of the kernel tree, as unpacked by bzip2. Maybe I'm violating something here (someone will hopefully point it out if I am), but it works for me.

	the only other thing I can think of, would be to make sure that you have the up-to-date packages as described in the '/usr/src/linux/README' file, eg binutils, libs, etc.

	HTH,

	--terry