festival slackware package?

Hi all:

Just curious, I have a version of flite as a slackware package I got while
running slackware 9.0, it's version 1.2.
I am now running 10.1, and I did the installpkg thing and flite seems to
be working, at least when I use the test option to read a text file, but
when I fire up gdm to run gnopernicus it doesn't come up talking, and I
cannot think of what I may be missing.  I know the list is speakup
oriented, so any responce should be off-list so I don't clutter it...
thanks anyone who can enlighten me...
Cheereo!