howto show slides using speakup an linux?

hello,
I might need to show slides in the near future when presenting open-source
software at a conference.
How do the others of you show slides using linux and speakup? I thought
about starting some X screen and run the display program from imagemagic
to show the graphic file, but i am not sure it will work smoothly.
TIA
Willem