new linux person!

Hello!

I am just installing debian Linux version 3.  C an somebody point me in the
right direction for speakup related info?  I hear there is documentation for
installing and upgrading and all that but can't find it anywhere.  I have a
doubletalk and spoke to somebody on speakfreely the other day.  That part
is working fine but I am interested in upgrading to the latest version of
speakup and also newer kernel.
Sorry if I'm too new for this list but you have to start somewhere!

Jim