sound card

Hi,
I got speakup to load at startup now totally unrelated is the fact that my
sound card drivers don't apear to be loading when linux starts.  I can't get
any sound such as cd audio until I go into aumix.  as soon as I type
aumix -q I get sound but not before.  it seems i should get sound as soon as
linux starts.
Roy