Question about tulip module

Hi all,
I am running Debian woody 3.0 r 2 and have gotten my tulip module configured so that whenever I do
modprobe tulip
it comes up and gives me my mac address of my nic card. However, whenever I do an l s mod command, it says the tulip is 0
(unused). Further more, when I do r m mod tulip, it removes the module altogether. My question is, how can ls mod say the driver
is unused and yet modprobe tulip gives me the hardware address of my card? Thanks a lot.
Jes