How do I boot with my synthesiser now that speakup from the sarge iso is installed

So far, I've successfully installed debian using the speakup-enabled sarge
iso available from the speakup ftp site.  Now I need to know where to put
the parameters to make speakup startup when I start this machine using my
braille'nspeak.  I know when I started the iso, I used speakup_synth=bns
is that the same string I will use here?  Where do I place that string? If
I forget to configure speakup to talk during boot, can I just use that
boot parameter at the boot prompt?      Yes I looked at the fadora howto
but I thought I'd ask here because I don't know how of that information is
the same under debian.