speakup as modules

Hi all.
Out of curiosity, I was wondering what is special about running speakup builtin or as a module?  Many people seem to use it as  a module set, and I would think it's safer to have it talk at startup, to insure that kernels run smoothly, but this is just my opinion; maybe it's just because I used to misscompile my kernels so many times in the past.
Thanks,

Ameer