New

Hi, I'm new to the list, and to linux as well.

I'm planning to use an old pc to install and learn linux and tinker with its possibilities.
I've been reading quite a bit on the web and trying to gather as much info before trying the installation.
At present, I don't have a hardware synth the works with linux.  However, I have seen references to direct connections between 2 pcs via the serial ports and I am wondering if I could hook up the 2 pcs and install linux on the old pc without any sighted assistance at all?  Preferably, I would like to be able to install and tinker with absolutely no sighted assistance.  Is that possible?

Any suggestions and recommendations of reading materials and software for a complete linux newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-- Rob