converting text files to sound files

Ok, got text2wave to work.
I used:
text2wave -o test.wav test.txt

The reason I had trouble when I first tried to do this is that when I last
installed I used the suggestions in a partitioning howto I found online
and /tmp is a separate partition and not maybe big enough for some things,
though i haven't had any problems prior to this. Text2wave seems to first
write the file in small pieces (maybe a sentence or so) to little
individual files in /tmp beginning with est, so your /tmp file fills and
fills until at some point the transfer to the actual wave file begins; I'm
not sure if that doesn't happen at all until the whole file has been
translated or not. then /tmp slowly has its data deleted as the transfer
takes place. I don't know if i was actually using too large a text file
for this process or if I hadn't erased some of the files from /tmp when I
made a false start and ended up cancelling the program, but the first time
i did this I never got my wave file because text2wave didn't have room to
save everything in its est files to /tmp. So I tried it with a very short
text file so that wouldn't be a problem and it worked just fine. am now
trying it again with a larger file. It also seems to work with

cat test.txt | text2wave -o test.wav
but I don't think that makes any difference in how the /tmp files get
done.
Festival isn't doing too badly with this, except i noticed it has soem
things it considers abbreviations; keeps reading the name Jan as January.

--
Cheryl